Chef Mom

I've collected these recipes from family members, out-of-print cookbooks, magazines, and the backs of food cartons. I've modified quite a few of them and, I think, made them even better. I only put my family's favorites on this site, because I'd like for my friends to have as many good food memories as we do. Enjoy...

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Scrumptious Pumpkin Bread/Muffins

This is my mother-in-law's recipe and man, is it ever good. Here's my favorite part-- Every slice is more than a full serving of Vitamin A (the vegetable vitamin) and beta carotene for the day- So my baby, who won't touch carrots, is getting her beta carotene groove on because she can't get enough pumpkin bread. If you really want to make this special, add yummy drizzly icing (see recipe posting below).

Ingredients

3 1/2 cups flour
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 beaten eggs
1 cup vegetable or corn oil
2/3 cup water
1 large can or 2 small cans pure pumpkin

Directions

Mix in one bowl all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg).
Mix in one bowl all wet ingredients (eggs, oil, water, pumpkin).
Pour wet ingredients into dry and blend.
Pour into loaf pans (This makes one large and one small loaf or three small loaves or 24 regular-sized muffins).
Cook at 350 degrees for about one hour (small loaves take a little less time, large loaves take a little more time- I insert a long toothpick into the center to make sure it's done) or 25 minutes if making muffins.
Enjoy!

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Serves: 12 or more

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I know I am waaayyyy late to this party, but I would like to try out this recipe. How big are the cans of pumpkin? Are we talking about a single 28-oz can?

7:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you! I can be a real dummy before the coffee kicks in!!!

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for such a wonderful way to aid me in my time of chaos! I just started working for a daycare center and wondered what I would do with 17 #10 cans of pumpkin well let me tell you this recipe was a hit! I just added some raisins since we had upteen bxs of them thanx again keep them coming!!!

9:01 AM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

FYI, I'm making muffins with this recipe now and they're great, and take way less time to bake than the bread.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home