Chef Mom

I've collected these recipes from family members, out-of-print cookbooks, magazines, and the backs of food cartons. I've modified quite a few of them and, I think, made them even better. I only put my family's favorites on this site, because I'd like for my friends to have as many good food memories as we do. Enjoy...

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Day-Old Spaghetti

This is a combination of a family recipe and a dish I had at an Italian restaurant on Catalina Island. The result, I think, is unbeatable. My husband hates spaghetti, but he loves this dish. Make this the day before for an easy supper the next night- or make it the same night if you don't have time. This is always the dish I make for new moms and shut-ins, too.

Ingredients

1 large onion
Garlic Salt
olive oil
Montreal Steak Seasoning
minced garlic
1 large jar of pasta sauce
1 lb ground beef
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
2 cups Monterrey Jack cheese
3/4 box angel hair pasta

Directions

Dice onion and blacken in dutch oven or large saucepan in small amount of olive oil (I think blackening the onion is one of the secrets to this turning out so good).
Add a heaping teaspoon of minced garlic.
Add in the ground beef, sprinkle liberally with garlic salt and steak seasoning and brown.
Add the pasta sauce, bring to a simmer and add the mushrooms. Allow to simmer until mushrooms are tender, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook 3/4 of a box of angel hair pasta al dente. Drain pasta.
In large bowl, mix together pasta and spaghetti sauce.
Dump the whole thing into a lasagna pan, cover with 2 cups Monterrey Jack cheese. Refrigerate overnight if you have the time.
When ready to serve, cook spaghetti at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until heated through.
Yum!

Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6

5 Comments:

Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Oooh! This sounds so good! I'll have to try it. Thanks!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Mmmmmmm I'm hungry already. I'm making this for lunch. But I don't have any meat. Do you still think it will taste ok?

8:07 AM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Hmmm... This one is more meat than sauce, which is how I like it. But you never know until you try it...

Good luck!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Oh, that makes me so happy... :)

4:48 AM  
Anonymous Margo said...

OMG --I never really thought I'd find this recipe! We eat at Antonio's in Catalina all the time! That's all we ever order. I thought maybe I had to bake it a little the first night- but I guess not. I'll cover it with cheese and refrigerate it until tomorrow night. Actually I doubled it and am serving in to my Bunco Gals! Thanks so much! Margo

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home