Chef Mom

I've collected these recipes from family members, out-of-print cookbooks, magazines, and the backs of food cartons. I've modified quite a few of them and, I think, made them even better. I only put my family's favorites on this site, because I'd like for my friends to have as many good food memories as we do. Enjoy...

Friday, August 26, 2005

Thai Shrimp and Noodles-or how I trick the kids into eating their broccoli

I love this recipe. It's quick, easy, cheap and a great one-dish dinner. You got your protein, your starch and your vegetables. And did I mention it tastes GREAT? I get serious cravings for this all the time and its sweetness makes the girls and the baby love it, too. I bought a few special ingredients just for this dish, but now I have them on hand every time I make it.

Ingredients

8 oz. spaghetti, broken in two
1 1/2 pounds frozen broccoli florets
1 lb shrimp, peeled
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4-1/3 cup soy sauce
3 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 Tablespoon chili oil (or one Tablespoon cooking oil with a dash of Tabasco)
1 Tablespoon grated ginger (or a liberal sprinkling of powdered ginger)
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 green onions, chopped
1/3 cup chopped cashews or almonds

Directions

In dutch oven, bring water to a boil and add pasta. Cook four minutes.
Add broccoli, cook two minutes.
Add shrimp, cook 2-3 minutes or until pink.
Meanwhile, in bowl, combine peanut butter and soy. Stir in vinegar, sesame oil, chili oil, ginger and garlic.
Drain spaghetti mixture. Stir in sauce.
Chow down.

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Serves: 4

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This sounds deelish! I'm going to make it for sure. Thanks for starting this blog, I love it!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Oh good. I'm obsessed with sharing my recipe finds with my friends, but I don't think they truly appreciate this stuff, since most of them are single and childless! Now everyone's happy.

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just made this last night and my (very picky) husband and I LOVED it. The 2-year-old wouldn't touch it, of course, but once he's out of the hot-dog-and-chicken-nugget phase of life I'm betting he'll come around. This recipe is definitely in our regular rotation now!

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home