Chef Mom

I've collected these recipes from family members, out-of-print cookbooks, magazines, and the backs of food cartons. I've modified quite a few of them and, I think, made them even better. I only put my family's favorites on this site, because I'd like for my friends to have as many good food memories as we do. Enjoy...

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Company Beef Stroganoff

I've tried about five beef stroganoff recipes and every one of them sucked. But I kept looking- I knew that somewhere, somehow, I was going to find a good, nay, a great Beef Stroganoff recipe. And here it is. The best Beef Stroganoff- ever.

Ingredients

1 pound beef tenderloin, cut into thin, bite-sized pieces (I used thinly sliced sirloin tip).
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup minced onion
1 can beef consomme
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 minced garlic clove
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup sour cream

Directions

-Melt butter in pan. Add mushrooms and onion. Cook until tender (about 5 minutes). Remove mushrooms and onion.
-Add beef and brown.
-Reserve 1/3 cup consomme. Add to pan remaining consomme together with ketchup, galic and salt. Stir. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
-Add remaining consomme and flour. Stir.
-Add onion and mushrooms. Heat to bubbling, stirring constantly for one minute. Reduce heat to low.
-Stir in sour cream. Keep on low so sour cream does not bubble.
-Serve over rice or noodles (I used a bag of egg noodles. Delish).

5 Comments:

Blogger Carley said...

Just had to tell you that, yes, hands down this is the BEST beef stroganoff recipe! LOVED IT!

5:26 AM  
Blogger Sharon Collie said...

This was the Smiff Supper tonight and it was GOOOOOOOOD. Never mind I forgot to put that 1/3 cup of consomme I reserved. Still very good.

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi this is the best recipe! i made it once and it turned out so good. i am going to make it again tonight. thanks for posting an easy great receipe!

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to make this lo fat and use light butter and light sour cream. This doesn't change the flavor one bit although the sauce is just a little bit thinner. But when you put it over noodles or rice who cares. Thanks for the recipe, I continue to make it over and over.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Liongoddess said...

Made this one for the picky-eater BF last week and we both loved it!

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home