Chef Mom

I've collected these recipes from family members, out-of-print cookbooks, magazines, and the backs of food cartons. I've modified quite a few of them and, I think, made them even better. I only put my family's favorites on this site, because I'd like for my friends to have as many good food memories as we do. Enjoy...

Friday, November 25, 2005

Easy Yeast Rolls


I made these for Thanksgiving and I swear I'm only doing homemade bread from now on. They are fabulous, cheap and just as easy as frozen rolls, really.

Ingredients

1 cup warm water (105-115 degrees- I just ran it to feel like bathwater and it was fine)
2 packages active dry yeast
1 stick butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
4-4 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour

Directions

-Combine warm water and yeast in a large bowl. Let the mixture stand until yeast is foamy, about five minutes.
-Stir in butter, sugar, eggs and salt. Beat in flour, 1 cup at a time, until dough is too stiff to mix (more or less flour may be needed). Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or up to four days.
-Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Turn the chilled dough onto a lightly floured board. Divide dough into 24 equal-sized pieces. Roll each piece into a smooth round ball; place balls in even rows in the prepared pan. Cover and let dough balls rise until doubled in volume, about one hour. (I didn't do this last step- instead, I just made the rolls only slightly smaller than normal size and they expanded a bit in the oven and were wonderful).
-Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake until rolls are lightly browned, 12-15 minutes. Brush warm rolls with melted butter, if desired.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a secret to what you cover the dough with / put the dough in when you put it in the refridgerator?

7:17 AM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Nope, just saran wrap.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you bake a few rolls and freeze the rest of the unbaked dough?

6:36 AM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

I think that would work fine. I refrigerate it for several days and it works every time. It's actually hard to mess this recipe up.

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home