Chef Mom

I've collected these recipes from family members, out-of-print cookbooks, magazines, and the backs of food cartons. I've modified quite a few of them and, I think, made them even better. I only put my family's favorites on this site, because I'd like for my friends to have as many good food memories as we do. Enjoy...

Sunday, November 20, 2005

The Thanksgiving Dish Everyone Raves About- Sausage and Wild Mushroom Stuffing

I have honed my Thanksgiving dishes down to only the very best. I still try a new one each year, but I'm only including the tried and true favorites on this blog. This stuffing is pretty much guaranteed to be the very best thing on the table. It ROCKS. And it's easy. And everyone will talk about it and beg you for the recipe.

Ingredients:

1/2 pound ground pork sausage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 bunch green onions, sliced
2 pounds mixed wild mushrooms (shiitake, portobello, enoki, crimini) sliced
1 large onion, sliced
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can chicken broth
1 (8oz) package herb-seasoned stuffing mix (I use Pepperidge Farm)
1/2 t. pepper
1 t. sage
1 t. rosemary
1 t. thyme

Directions:

-Brown sausage in large skillet or saucepan. Drain and set aside.
-Melt butter in skillet. Add mushrooms and onions, saute until tender. Stir in sausage, broth and remaining ingredients.
-Spoon 4 cups of stuffing into turkey if desired.
-Place remaining stuffing into 13x9 greased baking dish.
-Bake at 375 30-45 minutes or until lightly browned.

5 Comments:

Blogger buffi said...

You know there is a company in my hometown that does a cornbread dressing that I love and live for every year. But since I am nowhere near ther this year & have no hope of gettingit, I may try this. It sounds delicious!

8:21 AM  
Blogger indiekitten said...

pure. genius.
just made and am in LOVE!

I'm not sure I can reserve this for holidays only. ... THANK YOU for sharing!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Ha! I JUST made MINE to put in the oven in a few hours! :) I was looking at my computer for another dish I'm about to start on and saw your comment.

Glad it worked out for you!!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Type (little) a aka Michele said...

This is my second year making this. It is a home run!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Woo hoo! I just looked this recipe up on this site today! I make it every year now- I think this is my 4th or 5th year in a row. I asked my mom if they were getting tired of it and she said NOOOOOO!

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home