Chef Mom

I've collected these recipes from family members, out-of-print cookbooks, magazines, and the backs of food cartons. I've modified quite a few of them and, I think, made them even better. I only put my family's favorites on this site, because I'd like for my friends to have as many good food memories as we do. Enjoy...

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Yummy Low-Cal Fish and Chips


*If you want to make this dish really low-cal, skip the butter and spray the pan with cooking spray instead, as the original recipe directed me to do. The potatoes won't come out as good, though.
Otherwise, prepare as directed and lay off the potatoes if you're watching calories. The fish is still low-cal even as prepared below, because by the time you put it on the baking pan, most of the butter has been absorbed by the potatoes or run to the sides of the pan. Kids LOVE this meal, too! I serve it with salad.

Ingredients

2 large baking potatoes
2 pouches Extra Crispy fish or chicken coating (I've had best results by far with Kraft Oven Fry Extra Crispy Chicken)
1 package Italian Seasoning powder
1-1 1/2 pound cod, haddock or halibut (I use cod)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 stick butter
Garlic Salt

Directions

-Heat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter in oven on large, shallow baking pan with sides. Cut potatoes lengthwise into eight wedges. Cut wedges in half. Arrange on pan, sprinkle with 1/2 Italian seasoning and garlic salt to taste. Bake 20 minutes.

-Meanwhile, reserve 1/4 cup of coating for potatoes. Place remaining coating in shallow bowl.

-Dip fish fillets in mayonnaise, dredge in coating.

-Remove potatoes from oven, turn over and move to sides of pan, leaving space in center for fish fillets. Sprinkle potatoes with remaining Italian seasoning and with reserved coating.

-Add fillets to pan, cook 15-20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with tartar sauce.

Homemade Tartar Sauce

Ingredients

1 cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon sweet pickle relish
1 Tablespoon minced onion
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

-Mix mayo, relish and onion. Stir in lemon juice. Season to taste.

-Refrigerate at least one hour before serving.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chaotic Mom said...

Okay, I just found you through a comment on Mega Mom's blog. I LOVE your blogs!!!!!

You might want to check out a little "What's for Dinner Wednesday" challenge I have going on at Chaotic Home. I NEED some more inspiration like your recipes.

That said, I'm just going to read through them, now... ;)

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home