Chef Mom

I've collected these recipes from family members, out-of-print cookbooks, magazines, and the backs of food cartons. I've modified quite a few of them and, I think, made them even better. I only put my family's favorites on this site, because I'd like for my friends to have as many good food memories as we do. Enjoy...

Friday, September 30, 2005

Buttermilk Chicken for Mamaloo

I found this recipe in a cool old family cookbook at my husband's best friend's mother's vacation house in the country. It's easy and delicious- and since the chicken takes 2 hours to bake, it gives you a great excuse to say "Can't leave the house- I'm cooking dinner"- then curl up with a good book while the chicken bakes in the oven.

Ingredients

1 stick butter
2-3 lbs chicken breasts or thighs
self-rising flour
salt
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 small container of buttermilk

Directions

-Melt butter in 350 degree oven in baking pan.
-Combine flour and salt- I think I used a half teaspoon of salt and a small bowl of flour- enough to coat the chicken.
-Dip chicken in buttermilk, then dredge in flour/salt mixture.
-Place chicken in pan. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.
-Turn chicken over in pan. Mix soup and one soup can of buttermilk. Pour over chicken. Bake another hour.

2 Comments:

Blogger mamaloo said...

ooooooo! That looks delish! Very buttery and creamy, which is a major bonus.

I'll put the ingredients on the list and make this one night next week.

Thank you!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

Do the same thing with the chicken but instead of cream of mushroom soup and the buttermilk try 2 cans of Campbell's golden cream of mushroom soup (it is far different from the plain white cream of mushroom). Serve with hot flakey biscuits. My kids even use white bread to soak up the gravy from the pan after cooking with the golden variety.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home