Chef Mom

I've collected these recipes from family members, out-of-print cookbooks, magazines, and the backs of food cartons. I've modified quite a few of them and, I think, made them even better. I only put my family's favorites on this site, because I'd like for my friends to have as many good food memories as we do. Enjoy...

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Million Dollar Deep Dish Pizza

This recipe was adapted from the Pillsbury Bake-Off million dollar prize winner last year. She made paninis that were good enough to slap your mama. But the mess made in cooking and eating them would make your mama slap you. After a few tries, I found a deep dish pizza recipe and threw all the panini ingredients in.
Voila! It tastes spectacular and it's loaded with spinach and protein, so it's really good for kids. This is the only spinach dish my girls will eat, by the way.

Ingredients

1/2 cup mayonnaise/horseradish mix
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 Tbsp sugar
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cooked and chopped (I run the chicken through te food processor, and for convenience, I get three packages of Perdue Short Cuts roasted chicken and use this)
2 bags fresh spinach or 2 10-oz. packages of frozen spinach
2 cloves minced garlic
1 chopped red onion
4 Tbsp vinegar (cider, red wine or Balsamic. I use cider)
3 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning
1 cup Monterrey Jack shredded cheese
2 rolls of refrigerated pizza dough

Directions
-Heat oven to 425 degrees. Coat cast iron skillet or other heavy ovenproof skillet with cooking spray. Place one roll of dough inside skillet. Bake five minutes. Remove from oven.
-Meanwhile, sautee spinach until wilted or cook until thawed if frozen. Drain well.
-Heat olive oil in skillet or saucepan until hot. Add onion, cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in sugar and vinegar. Reduce heat to low, simmer 3-5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
-In large bowl, mix chicken, spinach, onions, cheese, mayo/horseradish mix and minced garlic. Spoon mix into pizza crust. Top with second pizza crust, bake 15-20 minutes at 425 degrees. Let stand 10 minutes.

Serves: 6-8
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes

1 Comments:

Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

That makes me so happy. Glad you liked it!

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home