Chef Mom

I've collected these recipes from family members, out-of-print cookbooks, magazines, and the backs of food cartons. I've modified quite a few of them and, I think, made them even better. I only put my family's favorites on this site, because I'd like for my friends to have as many good food memories as we do. Enjoy...

Friday, October 21, 2005

Too Good to be Meatloaf

I've never liked meatloaf- until I found this recipe. This meatloaf has become a staple in my house. I even serve it when friends come over. My husband loves meatloaf and orders it often, but he says this is hands down the best meatloaf in the world... and I'm inclined to agree with him.

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon horseradish
1 teaspoon Worcestershire
1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
1/4-1/2 teaspoon rosemary leaves, crushed
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Barbeque sauce ingredients

1 clove garlic (whole or minced)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon oregano
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1-2 tablespoons honey

Directions

Combine all ingredients except cheese and Barbeque sauce. Shape into 14x10" rectangle on sheet of waxed paper. Sprinkle meat mixture with cheese. Beginning at short end of rectangle, roll in jelly roll fashion (lift waxed paper to aid in rolling). Press together ends and edges to seal.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Ten minutes before meatloaf is ready, brown garlic in olive oil. If you've used a clove, discard garlic. Add other ingredients to oil (use splatter guard, because it will bubble), simmer until bubbly.

Pour sauce over meatloaf, bake 15 minutes more. Let stand ten minutes before serving.

Prep/ Cook time: 1 hr. 15 minutes
Serves: 6

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home