Chef Mom

I've collected these recipes from family members, out-of-print cookbooks, magazines, and the backs of food cartons. I've modified quite a few of them and, I think, made them even better. I only put my family's favorites on this site, because I'd like for my friends to have as many good food memories as we do. Enjoy...

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Broccoli with Garlic Butter and Cashews

Not only will your kids eat their broccoli, they'll beg for more! Can be made without cashews.

Ingredients

1 1/2 lbs fresh broccoli
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
1/3 cup salted roasted cashews

Directions

-Remove and discard broccoli leaves and rough ends of stalks. Cut broccoli into spears.
-Cook in a small amount of boiling water eight minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well, keep warm.
-Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add brown sugar and next four ingredients.
-Bring to a boil, remove from heat. Stir in cashews. Pour sauce over broccoli and serve immediately.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I make something similar, but I use a little bit of Chinese sesame oil instead of the butter. Absolutely delish.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

This may be a weird question, but do you think this would work with green beans instead of broccoli?

12:06 PM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Hmm. I... wouldn't. I do have a wonderful green beans recipe, though, that can be served hot or cold. I'll try to post it here by this weekend.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Great recipe! I've never gotten so many compliments on broccoli!

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home